When Bezalip or Bezalip retard is used at the same time as other medicines or substances the following interactions must be taken into account:
- Bezalip and Bezalip retard may enhance the action of anticoagulants of the coumarin type. For this reason, the dose of the anticoagulant should be reduced by 30 - 50% at the start of treatment with Bezalip or Bezalip retard and then titrated according to the blood clotting parameters.
- The action of sulphonylureas and insulin may be enhanced by Bezalip or Bezalip retard. This may be due to an improved glucose utilization with simultaneous reduction in insulin requirement.
- In isolated cases, a pronounced though reversible, impairment of renal function (accompanied by a corresponding increase in the serum creatinine level) has been reported in organ transplant patients receiving immuno-suppressant therapy and concomitant bezafibrate. Accordingly, renal function should be closely monitored in these patients and, in the event of relevant significant changes in laboratory parameters, bezafibrate should, if necessary, be discontinued .
- When Bezalip or Bezalip retard is used concurrently with anion-exchange resins (e.g. cholestryramine), an interval of at least 2 hours should be maintained between the two medicines, since the absorption of Bezalip or Bezalip retard is impaired.
- Perhexiline hydrogen maleate or MAO-inhibitors (with hepatotoxic potential) must not be administered together with Bezalip or Bezalip retard.