Your doctor has prescribed OLUX Foam for the relief of dermatoses of the scalp, such as psoriasis.
OLUX Foam works because its active ingredient is clobetasol propionate, 0.05%. Olux propionate belongs to a
group of medicines known as topical corticosteroids. These agents are used to reduce the inflammation, redness,
swelling, itching, and tenderness associated with dermatologic conditions.
Other ingredients in OLUX Foam include ethanol, purified water, propylene glycol, cetyl alcohol,
stearyl alcohol, polysorbate 60, citric acid, and potassium citrate. The foam is dispensed from an aluminum can that
is pressurized by a hydrocarbon propellant (propane and butane).
If you answer YES to one or more of the following questions, tell your doctor (or pharmacist) before
using this medicine, so you can get advice about what to do.
· Are you allergic to any of the ingredients contained in OLUX
· Are you pregnant? Planning on becoming pregnant while using
OLUX Foam? Or are you breastfeeding?
· Do you think you have an infection on your scalp?
How to apply OLUX Foam
Turn the can upside down and dispense a small amount of OLUX Foam into the cap of the can, onto
a clean saucer or other cool, clean surface, or directly onto the lesion, taking care to avoid contact with the eyes.
Dispensing directly onto hands is not recommended, as the foam will begin to melt immediately upon contact with warm
Move the hair away from the affected area of your scalp so that the foam can be applied to each
affected area. Gently massage into the affected scalp area until the foam disappears. Repeat until entire affected
scalp area is treated.
Apply twice daily, once in the morning and once at night. Use only enough to cover the affected
Wash your hands after applying OLUX Foam and discard any unused dispensed medication.
Do not wash or rinse the treated areas immediately after applying OLUX Foam.
· Use this medication only for the condition for which it was prescribed.
OLUX Foam should not be applied to the face, groin, or armpits.
· OLUX Foam is for external use only.
· Keep the foam away from your eyes, as it will sting. If the foam
gets into your eyes, rinse well with cold water. If the stinging continues, contact your doctor immediately.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT OLUX FOAM:
What to do if you miss an application
If you forget to apply OLUX Foam at the scheduled time, use it as soon as you remember, and then go
back to your regular schedule. If you remember at or about the time of your next daily application, apply that dose
and continue with your normal application schedule. If you miss several doses, tell your doctor.
About side effects
As with all medications, there may be some side effects. The most frequent side effects associated
with the use of clobetasol propionate formulations include mild burning, stinging, or itching at the site of
application. These side effects typically disappear shortly after application.
Let your doctor know if you notice any of the following:
· Any unusual effects that you do not understand.
· Affected areas that do not seem to be healing after 2 weeks of using
Important safety notes
· The treated areas should not be bandaged or covered unless directed
by your doctor.
· Keep this and all medicines out of the reach of children.
· Treatment should be limited to 2 consecutive weeks.
· Treatment should be limited to no more than 50 g of medication per
· Use in patients under 12 years of age is not recommended.
· Keep the foam away from your eyes.
· Store the can at controlled room temperature, 68-77°F
(20-25°C), and protect it from direct sunlight, as this is a pressurized container.
· Keep away from and do not spray near fire, open flame, or direct
heat-this product is flammable. Do not smoke while using or holding the can. Keep the can away from all
sources of ignition. Do not pierce or burn the can, and never throw the can in a fire, even if empty.
· When you have finished your treatment, dispose of the can safely. A
completely empty can is recyclable.
· Do not use the foam after the expiration date shown on the bottom of
· Do not give OLUX Foam to anyone else. Your doctor has prescribed this
medicine for your use only.
This pamphlet has been designed to provide you with important information about OLUX Foam, but does
not address every aspect of the foam. If, after reading this pamphlet, you have any questions or concerns, please
speak with your doctor or pharmacist.