Patients using METROGELÒ (metronidazole gel) 1% should receive the following information and instructions:
1. This medication is to be used as directed.
2. It is for external use only.
3. Avoid contact with the eyes.
4. Cleanse affected area(s) before applying METROGELÒ (metronidazole gel) 1%.
5. This medication should not be used for any other condition than that for which it is prescribed.
6. Patients should report any adverse reaction to their physician.
Oral metronidazole has been reported to potentiate the anticoagulant effect of coumarin and warfarin, resulting in a prolongation of prothrombin time. Drug interactions should be kept in mind when METROGELÒ (metronidazole gel), 1% is prescribed for patients who are receiving anticoagulant treatment, although they are less likely to occur with topical metronidazole administration because of low absorption.
METROGELÒ (metronidazole gel), 1% is contraindicated in those patients with a history of hypersensitivity to metronidazole or to any other ingredient in this formulation.